- All assets must be in MD2, Blippar’s proprietary format.
- To create an MD2, you can use our FBX to MD2 converter (found here) to convert the FBX file that you created or bought
- The converter currently accepts FBX files with:
- However, each geometry can only contain 32,767 Polygons, 32,767 UVs, and 32,767 Vertices.
- More than a single geometry.
- Node hierarchy with transform information
- Embedded textures
- Texture maps
- We do not support FBX files with:
- Bump or specular maps
(We highly recommend using only single geometry. At the moment, the production process for assets that surpass this is much more manual. If you do use an asset with multiple geometries, please follow the following steps here)
We know you want your blipps to be dynamic. 3D assets can help give your blipps more texture and not to mention that “wow” factor. Before you start adding 3D assets into Blippbuilder, convert the formats to MD2 - our proprietary format.
How to convert FBX files into MD2 assets
- Create, download a free file or buy a 3D asset in FBX format from a third party like TurboSquid.
- Open Blippar’s FBX converter here, it is also found in Blipbuilder under uploads.
- Drop your asset in the box and it will start converting it from FBX to a zip file, which contains your asset in MD2 format along with any texture files.
- Unzip the file.
- Now you can upload these file(s) into blippbuilder, and it will appear as a 3D asset in your asset library.
- If you have any texture files, they will appear as a flat png or jpg image and will be uploaded separately on the right hand side in Blippbuilder.
Adding and using 3D assets
- Click on the “Uploads” button in the top left, then select "Browse" to add an asset into your library.
- Select the 3D asset and click “Open.” The asset must be in MD2 format, if it is not convert it.
- A 3D model will appear in your uploads.
- Drag and drop your 3D model onto the stage.
Working with 3D assets
- The asset properties panel will appear on the right-hand side, as shown above.
- Add a texture by uploading an image file, and it will automatically apply it to the model.
- Click on the color you wish to give your asset from our pre-selected option.
- Make your assets more dynamic and beautiful with color, versus black, white and grayscale.
2. Adjust the opacity level using the percentage bar or typing in a preferred percentage into the numeric text box.
3. Drag the assets’ corners to change the model's scale on an XYZ-Axis.
- Change the rotation by clicking and dragging the circle figure next to the assets center.
- Dragging the rotation control rotates the model on the corresponding axis.
- An indicator shows the degree of rotation.
- Move the assets placement by dragging it anywhere on the stage (the XY-measurements will change accordingly).
Control the 3D Scene
Once you have dragged and dropped a 3D model onto the stage, you may want to see its various sides. Here we explain how to manipulate the stage to achieve this.
1. Find the 2D/3D switcher and click on “3D.” Now you should see the 3D scene controls.
2. In the 3D scene control you will see a cube. Drag the cube to show different sides of the cube, and your blippbuilder stage will move accordingly.
3. To reset the stage to a front view, click on the home button right above the cube.
Share your thoughts on converting and using 3D assets in the comments below.